Today on Raising Adults, we discuss the age where littles are hitting, biting, and breaking things. We share some tips on how we’ve tackled this phase with our littles that align with our FFP philosophy. Join us today as we share tools that parents can use for dealing with this developmentally appropriate, though challenging, phase.
“Make sure that as you’re encouraging this behavior to stop and letting them know that this is not appropriate, that we are also giving them the tools for what is appropriate.” – Kira Dorrian
“What we permit, we promote. So if you’re allowing it, even sometimes, they’re thinking, ‘Oh, I might, get away with this here and there,’ and that’s really not okay.” – Deana Thayer
Things we chat about:
- Kira teaching her kids that violence is never okay (4:26)
- Deana’s “it’s only fun if everyone is having fun” (5:18)
- What Kira struggled with that a lot of parents can relate to (6:35)
- Just because something is age-appropriate doesn’t mean you can let it go (8:16)
- The importance of staying consistent (10:50)
- Shaming doesn’t have to be part of parenting (13:55)
- Mean what you say and say what you mean (16:49)
- Kids need to see the follow-through (17:47)
- Teaching the process of reparation (19:35)
- Reparation without shame (22:28)
- Encouraging inappropriate behavior to stop, while giving them tools for what is appropriate (23:13)
Be sure to tune in to next week’s Season Four Finale and get excited with us. We’d also love to know your thoughts on today’s episode! Join us on social media and let us know.
Thanks for joining us on today’s episode of the Raising Adults: Future Focused Parenting podcast! If you enjoyed today’s episode, please head over to iTunes, give us 5 stars, and leave a review to help us reach even more Future-Focused parents. Don’t forget to check out our website, visit us on Facebook, or hang out with us on Instagram to stay up-to-date on what’s in store for you.