In today’s episode of Raising Adults, Deana and Kira talk about tattoos, piercings and body modifications. Join us as we discuss how critical thinking skills are key to this conversation, regrets and triggers for parents, and Kira’s cautionary tale. Be sure to tune in!
“Sometimes regrets are important. You learn things from your regrets. And while they’re a bummer, they’re a good teacher.” – Deana Thayer
“How can we enhance what’s there but embrace? We all have stuff, and it’s just not worth the risk to try and modify if it’s going to cause health concerns, you know.” – Kira Dorrian Today’s highlights include:
- Deana’s grumbling and gratitude (2:17)
- Do Deana and Kira have body modifications? (4:25)
- Deana’s why when it comes to talking to her kids about this topic (7:12)
- Kira’s why (9:20)
- Critical thinking and body modifications (11:04)
- Regrets and triggers for parents (15:38)
- Kira’s experience and word of caution on cultural appropriation (16:37)
- Try temporary first over permanent (23:41)
- Thoughts on plastic surgery (25:28)
- Negative comments from peers and how to talk through those experiences (30:04)
*Communication is key for any body mod discussion with our kids.
*Try before you buy: try out a temporary tattoo or fake earring first!
*Be thoughtful of cultural significance
*Last (but certainly not least!): Be kind when commenting on those with permanent body modifications, or reconsider commenting at all.
We would love to hear your thoughts on today’s topic. Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget about our membership opportunity and the additional resources you have access to when you join. Find more on our membership tab.
Thanks for joining us on today’s episode of Raising Adults! If you enjoyed today’s episode, please head over to iTunes, give us 5 stars, and leave a review to help us reach even more Future Focused parents. Don’t forget to check out our website, visit us on Facebook, or hang out with us on Instagram, twitter and Pinterest to stay up-to-date on what’s in store for you.