In today’s episode of Raising Adults, Deana and Kira talk about supporting future focused grandparents and the complexities that entails. Don’t miss this episode!
“The most important question grandparents can ask of their adult children is, where do I need to match you and where can I depart from that and just enjoy being a grandparent?” – Deana Thayer
“Please, grandparents, remember that the intensity and expectation of parents when you were parenting is not the same as it is now.” – Kira Dorrian
Today’s highlights include:
- Kira shares her two-part why (3:28)
- Deana’s blended family two-part why (6:20)
- Finding a middle ground in grandparenting (8:57)
- Preparing for a grandchild on the way (11:46)
- Importance of communicating regularly and checking in (13:50)
- Graciously receiving feedback as grandparents (15:00)
- Asking for clarity without judgment (18:27)
- The intensity and expectations of parenting are not the same as a generation ago (20:01)
- Blended family…it’s like a crockpot (22:42)
- Creative communication is key to successful future focused grandparenting(28:24)
Much of what makes for a successful future focused grandparenting relationship is communication. This includes asking questions, clarifying without judgment, finding ways to partner with your adult children and considering how you create a safe space for receiving feedback.
We really hope that you enjoyed this episode today and look forward to hearing your thoughts! If you are new to the FFP philosophy, check out our past episodes on The Importance of a Strong Why and Figuring Out Your Family’s Values. Also, our recorded webinar Becoming a Future Focused Parent.
Thanks to our sponsor
The MamaZen App – Helping Moms Feel Sane!
The MamaZen app specializes in helping moms change their motherhood habits, so they can become patient, mindful, calmer, happier, and raise happy and mindful adults.
Use promo code FUTURE to get full, unlimited FREE access to MamaZen for 30 days.
Thanks for joining us on today’s episode of Raising Adults! If you enjoyed today’s episode, please head over to iTunes, give us 5 stars, and leave a review to help us reach even more Future Focused parents. Don’t forget to check out our website, visit us on Facebook, or hang out with us on Instagram, twitter, and Pinterest to stay up-to-date on what’s in store for you.