In today’s episode of Raising Adults, we head into the second part of our three-week series. Last week we covered the “IDo It” phase of parenting, and today we are talking about the “We Do It” phase. This 5-10 age range is where we truly begin balancing responsibilities with privileges and move into a more collaborative part of the parenting journey.
“You know what’s really cool about this phase, honestly… The “We Do It” phase is where you’re together and you’re a team. And so the pressure of “I Do It” comes off of you a little bit, but you haven’t worked yourself out of a job yet.” – Kira Dorrian
“This season is when you are collaboratively working toward things like growing responsibility, growing privileges and growing relational skills. This sets up not only raising your adult but how that adult then views their relationship with you.” – Deana Thayer
Today’s discussion includes:
- A recap of the “I Do It” phase (00:57)
- Laying the groundwork and reaping the benefits (6:46)
- The “We Do It” phase (8:18)
- Setting the tone for the parent/child relationship (12:51)
- Consistency and communication (16:03)
- Kira outlines how she balances chores and privileges (17:23)
- Deana shares how she tackled this phase and her “yes posture” (20:27)
- How to handle changes in the parent-child relationship (24:56)
Thanks for joining us on today’s episode of Raising Adults! If you enjoyed today’s episode, please head over to iTunes, give us 5 stars, and leave a review to help us reach even more Future Focused parents. Don’t forget to check out our website, visit us on Facebook, or hang out with us on Instagram, twitter, and Pinterest to stay up-to-date on what’s in store for you.