In today’s episode of Raising Adults, Deana and Kira are back with an important topic: teaching kids about social justice. Because she is not a DEI educator, Kira shares who she is learning from and what the application looks like in her home.
“We cannot help the next generation to dismantle racism, challenge racial inequality, and imagine an America of inclusion, if we, as white parents, do not openly discuss the oppression and injustices that are inherent in the very design of our country, which was established by white men who believed that they were the superior race.” – Elisabeth Lepine
Today’s discussion includes:
- Appropriate vs. inappropriate resources (6:22)
- Apron Education and Read Like a Rock Star Teaching (7:46)
- The Conscious Kid, Little Justice Leaders and Brownicity (10:01)
- The framework Kira uses in her house (11:56)
- Modeling action and helping kids learn to take action (19:34)
- How to talk about the complexities and when we get it wrong (23:11)
- Accept the discomfort – if we’re not educating ourselves, we’re not doing the work (25:36)
- Gracefully receiving feedback so we can do better (29:09)
Thanks for joining us today for this important topic. What was your biggest takeaway? Please come and share it with us on our social media!
Read Like a Rock Star Teaching Website
Read Like a Rock Star Instagram
Apron Education Website
Apron Education Instagram
Unpack Your Impact
We Need Diverse Books Website
We Need Diverse Books Instagram
The Conscious Kid Website
The Conscious Kid Instagram
Little Justice Leaders Website
Little Justice Leaders Instagram
Huge thanks to our sponsor: The Cozi App!
Cozi is the #1 organizing app that families use to juggle school schedules, practices, meetings, doctor’s appointments and even a work out or date night. The shared grocery list lets the whole family add items in real time, and you’ll never find yourself at the store without the list – it’s always on your phone and up to date. The best part? It’s all FREE in Cozi. Just download Cozi from the app store to get the free app today!
Thanks for joining us on today’s episode of Raising Adults! If you enjoyed today’s episode, please head over to iTunes, give us 5 stars, and leave a review to help us reach even more Future Focused Parents. Don’t forget to check out our website, visit us on Facebook, or hang out with us on Instagram, to stay up-to-date on what’s in store for you.